When packing your bags for Maine, think of all the things you would need on a wild adventure.
Because a trip to Maine is nothing less than an adventure.
From sturdy hiking shoes to a thick sweater and water-resistant poncho, we have jotted down all the main essentials for Maine in this article. HAHA!
Weather In Maine In October:
Maine sees tolerable weather in October.
Whether you are in Brunswick or Portland, all the locations experience the same temperature throughout the day.
Early in the morning, around 6 am, the weather is a little cold with a temperature of 6°C. At noon, Maine warms up a little with the temperature reaching 13°C.
As the evening approaches, Maine cools up again. The average temperature around 6 pm is 7°C.
In the middle of the night, the temperature is 5°C, making it the coldest part of an average day in Maine in October.
There have been times, however, when Maine experienced drastic changes in the temperature.
In 2018, the temperature in Maine reached around 28°C, and again in 2020, the temperature hit an unexpected low of -5°C.
The month is relatively dry with an average rainfall of 113 millimeters, spread over the chances of rainfall being greater at the end of the month.
The cloud cover decreases over the month and the period of sunlight decreases as the days pass.
The humidity levels remain constant throughout the month with the chances of muggy days being around 0%.
What To Wear For Daytime Activities In Maine?
Over the last few years, Maine has seen drastic changes in temperature in October. Besides that, the temperature varies from early morning to noon.
So whether you plan on visiting the Acadia National Park to witness the natural beauty of Maine or the coast for whale watching, layers are the best way to dress up.
A plain t-shirt layered with a flannel shirt makes the classic combination for fall in Maine.
In recent years, people are also seen wearing a loosely fitting flannel, more commonly known as a shacket.
A patterned cream-colored sweater is another essential item for early mornings. A rainproof water jacket can also come in handy on rainy days.
Women can pair their tops with a good pair of leggings or high-waisted pants, depending on what they feel comfortable in.
If you want to look a little dressy, leather pants are the way to go.
Men can wear jeans or thick cotton pants to complete the look.
Now, let’s talk about the right footwear for Maine. As Maine is cold and rainy, it is best to opt for closed-toe boots.
Duck boots and rain boots are your safest bet as they are comfortable for casual strolls around the town and walking on the coast.
If you plan on wearing cropped jeans, ankle boots would work magic and make your outfit stand out.
For hiking, lightweight hiking boots or shoes with a thick rubber sole would be a perfect choice. Don’t forget to wear socks if you want to have a comfortable trip.
What To Wear For Nighttime Activities In Maine?
October nights in Maine are cold with temperatures falling below 0°C occasionally. So thick sweaters and cardigans are essential for nighttime.
If you plan on visiting fancy restaurants, a well-fitting sweater dress paired with sheer leggings looks chic and keeps you warm.
You can accessorize it with a metal belt, statement necklace, and a cross-body bag to complete the look.
For footwear, ankle boots or a pair of closed-toe pumps are the right choices.
Men can wear a turtleneck or blazer with a pair of dress pants. Finish the look with a sharp belt and shiny, polished shoes.
Boothbay Fall Foliage Festival of Maine begins in October and is once in a lifetime experience.
There is no wrong or right attire for the festival but if you want to look and feel good, it’s best to wear layers.
A neutral-colored sweater with a long coat or jacket paired with a loose pair of jeans looks great on both men and women.
As it can get quite windy, women can wear good quality cashmere scarves around their necks.
It is pretty common for men to wear scarves in Maine as well, so if you want to blend in with the locals, a woolen scarf is a way to go.
On rainy days, wear a water-resistant poncho or coat with a good pair of waterproof shoes.
What Else To Pack For A Trip To Maine In October?
- Sunscreen: The cloud cover in October is low and that means a greater amount of UV radiation reaching the surface.
- So, if you love your skin, make sure you have a broad spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen in your bag.
- Insect repellant spray: Maine is known for its bug problem. Lyme disease is pretty common in the area so one thing that you must have in your backpack is an insect repellent spray.
- Moisturizer: A good moisturizer is an absolute necessity as the humidity is quite low and weather is dry in October.
- Sunglasses: The exposure to UV A and UV B rays is quite high in October. So a good pair of sunglasses is a must-have for a trip to Maine.
- One can also use them as accessories to accentuate their look.
- Binoculars: If you plan on visiting places like Acadia National Park, it is best to carry a pair of binoculars.
- They will help make your experience more beautiful and memorable.
- Umbrella: It rains five out of thirty-one days in October. So, to stay on the safe side, pack a travel-sized umbrella for your trip to Maine.
- Prescription Medications: First Aid Kit is available at almost all places in Maine but if you take any prescription medications, make sure you have them in your bag.
Maine has very low crime rates and is one of the safest countries for tourists. We will still recommend you take care of your belongings and when traveling by car, keep an offline map with you.