When planning a trip to another country, the most worrisome and time-consuming thing is packing.
Well, if you are going to Costa Rica, there’s no need to overthink or overanalyze because we are here to list all the clothes you will be needing for your trip.
Weather In Costa Rica In December:
If you wish to spend your Christmas in a warmer country, Costa Rica is the best option.
It is hot during the daytime with an average temperature of 27°C (80.6°F). Sometimes the temperature also goes as high as 32°C (89.6°F).
The December evenings in Costa Rica are balmy with an average temperature of 15°C (59°F).
The temperature of the water is 27°C (82°F) throughout December, making it perfect for swimming and beach picnics.
Costa Rica receives 11 hours and 33 minutes of sunlight every day. The cloud cover decreases rapidly over the month. You may see the sky with partial clouds but most remains clear.
During the first two weeks of December, the country expects rainy days. The amount of rainfall ranges from 3.2 inches to 6.9 inches.
As we move farther into December, the chances of rain become less.
Humidity also decreases over the month and the speed of wind in December increases from 2.4 miles per hour to 3.2 miles per hour.
What To Wear For Daytime Activities In Costa Rica?
There is no specific dress code that you need to follow in Costa Rica. The locals are very chill about their dressing so anything that you find comfortable and casual will work.
During the day, the country’s weather is hot which makes it perfect for beach trips. So make sure you pack your swimwear for Costa Rica.
For women, the bikini is the perfect beach outfit. Men, on the other hand, can dress in swimming trunks and tropical button-down shirts. The best footwear for beach trips is flip-flops.
When touring the city it is best to opt for casual shirts made out of cotton or linen and long pants. Men can wear t-shirts or buttons down with chinos or slacks.
Though there is nothing wrong with shorts, they can make you stand out from the locals and make you a target of pickpocketers.
Hiking is one thing that every tourist wants to do when in Costa Rica but wearing the wrong outfit can ruin your experience.
Women dressed up in leggings and sports bras are most comfortable on hiking trips. As far as men are concerned, some good-quality shorts paired with a polo are a great way to go.
When choosing shoes for hiking, put comfort over style. Hiking boots or sports trainers are the perfect choices for both genders.
If plan on doing white water rafting wear your bathing suit as the base layer. Top it with shirts and pants made with nylon, polyester, and wool.
They retain a comfortable body temperature and help you dry faster. The perfect shoes for rafting are water shoes.
For lunch at a good restaurant, you can wear sun dresses as they look chic and help you get Instagramable pictures.
Lastly, one thing that you must carry with you is a water-resistant jacket or poncho. It can rain anytime in Costa Rica, if you don’t want that rain to ruin your day, buy a poncho.
What To Wear For Nighttime Activities In Costa Rica?
If you are planning a trip to the mountainous area at night, keep in mind that they are colder than lower regions. Wearing a full sleeves shirt and long pants is necessary for mountains.
For dinner at random restaurants, there is no need to dress up but if you will be eating at some fancy restaurants, keep one or two evening dresses in your bag.
For men, a button-down shirt with dress pants or chino is the perfect attire for fancy dinners.
A rainproof jacket or poncho is a must for nighttime activities as well. If you do not want to carry an extra item with you, check the weather forecast to see if there are any chances of rain.
Other Things To Pack For Costa Rica:
- Insect repellant: No matter how cautious you are, you will get bitten by mosquitoes and other insects if you don’t wear insect repellent.
- So along with full-length clothes, make sure you pack a bottle of insect repellent spray as well.
- Rechargeable Torch: Load shedding is a common occurrence in Costa Rica. So it is best to carry a rechargeable torch for such situations.
- Sunscreen Lotion: Sunscreen lotion is an absolute necessity for daytime activities like hiking and rafting.
- Pack the one which is broad spectrum and is SPF 60.
- Umbrella: The weathering in Costa Rica is unpredictable. It can rain anytime during the day.
- A travel-sized umbrella will let you enjoy your day without getting wet and cold.
- Waterproof phone case: Trips to the beach and unpredicted rainfall make a waterproof phone case an absolute necessity.
- Reusable water bottle: You must always carry a water bottle during the daytime as hot weather dehydrates you faster.
- Prescription Medications: While over-the-counter medication can easily be bought, it is best to pack your prescription medications if you take any.
- Face Wash: Basic toiletries are available in the hotels but fash washes are hella expensive. So if you use a specific brand of face wash, bring it with you.
Being a tropical country, the weather in Costa Rica is very humid. If you are an adventure enthusiast, you will sweat a lot in Costa Rica.
So, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of washing your clothes when on vacation, you should pack at least one outfit for each day.
You must also pack a minimum of two swimwear to make sure you have access to one when the other is that.
That’s it. This is all information you need regarding Costa Rica. Hope it helps and you have a great vacation.